Background and Historical Context
|1915||The department’s formation is traceable to 1915 when it was known as the Sanitary Department with a thrust on the control of flies and mosquitoes.|
|1916||The department took responsibility over slaughter areas.|
|1918||The department was renamed Public Health Sanitary Department.|
|1920||New isolation European Hospital, new hospital now Wilkins Infectious Diseases Hospital was built in1936.|
|1921||New isolation hospital, Lazaretto built for natives. Rudimentary service with improvements made in 1939 and new hospital built in 1956 and renamed Beatrice Road Infectious Diseases Hospital.|
|1922||TB and Medical Examination Centre opened in Market Square, present Medical Examination Centre built in1973.|
|1934||Appointment of Medical Officer of Health A.J Wilkins supported by a typist and four inspectors.|
|1935||Child Welfare in full swing.|
|1937||Queen Elizabeth Clinic.|
|1938||Cranborne and Parktown Clinics.|
|1940||Domiciliary maternity services and District nurse introduced.|
|1940||Avondale clinic opened.|
|1945||Highlands clinic opened.|
|1948||Harare Hostel Dispensary, now Mbare Polyclinic is opened.|
|1950||Coronation Park clinic along Gatooma road (now old Kadoma road).|
|1951||Arcadia Clinic opens.|
|1952||Braeside and Eastlea Clinics.|
|1954||Mabvuku (Donneybrook) opened.|
|1956||Harare dental clinic opened and then closed, in 1964 clinic opened in Bank Street and later moved to Beatrice Road. Gershon dental opened 1973.|
|1967||Highfield Rural Hospital was originally built but handed over to council on 16 September 1974.|
|1971||Edith Oppermann Maternity centre.|
|1972||Kambuzuma taken over from Red Cross on 1 February 1972, new clinic built in 1979, maternity unit in 1978 and Primary Care in 1978.
Dzivaresekwa maternity care Clinic.
Arcadia dental clinic opened.
|1973||Western Triangle clinic
Western Triangle operated by Red Cross and replaced by clinic in converted farm house in Glen Norah on 1 January 1973.
Lobengula Clinic opened in 1959, closed in1977 and Chest Clinic moved to Medical Examination Centre in Harare in1973.
Rutsanana Polyclinic, primary care opened 1973, maternity in 1974 - and polyclinic opened January 1976.
Health visitor service in Mabvuku, Tafara, Highlands and Borrowdale.
Mabvuku maternity clinic.
|1975||Mabvuku primary care.|
|1976||Zengeza/St Mary’s, Rutsanana polyclinic.|
|1977||Preceded by a mobile European Child Welfare Clinic, the African/European clinic opened in Borrowdale in 1977.|
|1978||Borrowdale Primary Care Clinic(02/01/78)/Sunningdale Clinic FHS.|
|1979||Kambuzuma Poly Clinic 3/279.|
|1980||Rutsanana Dental Clinic 2/1/80 Dzivarasekwa Primary Care Clinic 18/7/80.|
|1981||Mufakose Dental Clinic 1/4/81.
Glen View Primary Care Clinic 08/81.
Warren Park Temporary Clinic 19/10/81.
|1982||Glen View Maternity 4/1/82.
Parirenyatwa Primary Care Clinic 17/11/82.
|1983||Mabvuku Dental Clinic 1/3/83.
Mbare Primary Care Clinic 31/8/83.
Highfield Primary Care Clinic 17/11/83.
|1984||Genito Urinary Centre 1/2/84.
Southerton Primary Care Clinic 31/8/84.
|1985||Warren Park Polyclinic 21/6/85.|
|1987||Glen View Satellite 29/9/87.|
|1988||Glen Norah Satellite 28/10/88.
Kuwadzana Polyclinic 31/3/88.
Mabelreign Satellite 30/11/88.
|1990||Western Triangle Satellite 24/3//90.
Sunningdale Satellite 3/2/90.
|1991||Hatfield Satellite 24/6/91.|
|1993||Hatcliff Polyclinic 20/9/93.|