The Division is located at Beatrice Road Infectious Disease Hospital (BRIDH) in Mbare.
Functions of The Division
- Ensuring adequate and well serviced medical equipment and supply of reagents.
- Ensuring ISO certification of the laboratories.
- Decentralising laboratory services to polyclinics and ensuring efficient logistics of laboratory specimen and results between the clinics and laboratory.
- Ensuring that laboratory professionals are always at the cutting edge of knowledge.
- Making the laboratory self sufficient.
The City Health Department has two laboratories, one at Beatrice Road Infectious Diseases Hospital and the other at the Genito Urinary Centre (Wilkins), with the Beatrice Road laboratory being the main one. There are limited laboratory services at the polyclinics The laboratories offer diagnostic tests in haematology, serology, chemistry and microbiology with the major focus being on HIV, TB microscopy and antennal serological tests. The Beatrice Road laboratory is manned by ten scientists and three laboratory technicians . The laboratory is also assisted by ten microscopists who perform HIV, malaria and TB microscopy testing.
The Laboratory at Beatrice Road Infectious Diseases hospital is currently being expanded through Global Fund, Round Five, together with six other laboratories at the poly clinics with the primary objective being to capacitate TB diagnostic services. The city laboratories are satisfactorily manned by competent and motivated staff and have fairly modern equipment. There is however scope to improve the efficiencies of the processes and the goal is to achieve international certification.