The Legal Services is a Division in the Chamber Secretary’s Department located at Town House office number 130. The Legal Division is currently headed by Ms R. Chimhenga on an acting capacity.
The Legal Services Division currently has a staff complement of seven (7) comprising of two (2) Chief Legal Officers who head the Legal Advice and Litigation Section and Contracts Section respectively. There are two (2) Principal Legal Officers one for the Legal Advice and Litigation Section and the other for Contracts Section. There is also a Para legal Clerk, a Divisional Secretary and a Legal Secretary.
Main Functions of The Division
- Provision of legal advice in Council, Standing Committees of Council and Council Departments.
- Preparation and drafting of court process and representing Council at arbitration, tribunals, Labour Court and Magistrate’s Court.
- Negotiation and drafting of contracts and private and public partnership agreements.
- Reviewing, updating and drafting of Council by-laws.
- Policy formulation and review.
- Administration of tender and procurement procedures.
A list of all City of Harare By-laws can be downloaded here. The hard copies of each of these By-laws are obtainable from the Legal Services library at Town House.