- The City, now called Harare began as a settlement in 1890;
- Proclaimed a municipality in 1897 and a City in 1935;
- Cleveland Dam, constructed upstream supplied the City up to 1923; outgrew the dam capacity;
- First municipal houses were occupied in 1952 in Mabvuku, Mufakose 1959, Dzivarasekwa and Tafara 1961 and Marimba – high income 1961.
Geographical and Topographical:
- Coverage Area of Greater Harare - 872km2;
- Height above sea level - 1 500m;
- Total Population for Greater Harare - 2.1million;
Source: Census 2012 Preliminary Results by ZIMSTAT
- Traffic population - 160 000 enter CBD per day during business hours;
- Registered vehicles - 800 000 all classes;
- Parking bays in CBD - 7 000 bays;
- Licensed vehicles - 16 000 average per year.
- Length of road - 4 000kms;
- Controlled intersections - 185 with traffic lights.
- Length of water pipes - 4 000kms (primary and secondary);
- Length of sewer pipes - 3 000kms;
- Number of water reservoirs - 5 namely: Cleveland Dam - 1923, Seke dam - 1929, Lake Chivero - 1952, Harava dam - 1972 and Lake Chivero - 1976;
- Total Capacity - 752 900.